Cross-Pollination Blends Art and Science at the Pence
This article appeared in the March 31, 2017 edition of the Davis Enterprise.
By Lisa Justice
Special to the Enterprise
Art After Dark returns to the Pence Gallery on Friday, April 7 featuring a collaboration with Third Space Art Collective! Third Space Art Collective is a Davis-based community of artists, performers and educators committed to creating, sharing and showcasing art for the whole community.
Plus, Explorit Science Center will be on hand to provide some hands-on science fun in accord with this month’s theme: Cross-Pollination. The theme of Cross-Pollination taps into the heart of Third Space’s mission to bring together and support artists of every type, providing a physical space to create, collaborate and showcase their work. Learn more about Third Space at www.thirdspacedavis.com.
Third Space will be unveiling their Cross-Pollination exhibit which will run at the Pence from April 7-19. To celebrate, many Third Space artists will participate in Art After Dark from 7:00-9:00 p.m. on April 7 with performances including a guest guitarist, storytelling and more.
The process of pollination in the natural world is essential to the health and survival of our communities, as many of our favorite foods depend on bees or other pollinating animals. Explore the science of pollination with Explorit, and make a seed bomb to help support bees and other pollinators.
As always, Art After Dark will feature free food, interactive art to make, a cash bar, and tons of art and science fun! Tickets are $10/$8 students/$5 children & youth, and are available at the door and online atwww.pencegallery.org.
Explorit’s coming events:
● Summer Science Camp registration is open now! Find all the details at www.explorit.org. http://www.explorit.org/welcome-to-explorit/programs/summer-camp/summer-and-vacation-classes
● Save the date of Sunday, August 27 for Explorit’s annual end of summer Final Blast celebration, a full day of fun for the whole community! http://www.explorit.org/welcome-to-explorit/programs/summer-camp/summer-and-vacation-classes
● Save your clean tin cans and toilet paper tubes for Explorit! We are almost out of one of our most popular Challenge Center building materials. You can help stock us up by saving your clean household items and bringing them to Explorit’s office at 3141 5th St. during our regular business hours, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. http://www.explorit.org/support/support/wish-list
● Explorit’s Exploration Gallery is open to the public every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, 1:00-5:00 p.m. and every Friday, 3:00-6:00 p.m. Admission is $5.00 per person; Explorit members, teachers and children 2 and under are free. Come check out the new Nano Mini Exhibition! http://www.explorit.org/visit
● Interested in helping out the community through board membership? Explorit is currently seeking individuals in the community to serve as members of our volunteer board. Please call or email for additional information on how to apply. http://www.explorit.org/about/board/explorit-board-documents
● Interested in membership? Think your Explorit membership may have lapsed? Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 to check or sign up! http://www.explorit.org/join
● Birthdays are fun with science at Explorit! Choose Super Birthday Party topics to make this a special event! Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 for more information or to book your party. http://www.explorit.org/programs/programs/birthday-parties/birthday-parties
Explorit Science Center is located at 3141 5th St. For more information call (530) 756-0191 or visit http://www.explorit.org, or “like” us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/explorit.fb.