Dive into Darwin Day!
This article appeared in the February 10, 2017 edition of the Davis Enterprise.
By Lisa Justice
Special to the Enterprise
He dropped out of medical school, studied theology at Cambridge and is currently featured on the English 10-pound note. While he is probably best known for his world travels, work as a naturalist and theories of evolution and natural selection, he also founded a Gourmet Club at Cambridge, snacking on hawk, owl and armadillo. And his birthday is almost upon us!
Celebrations will be popping up all over the world as we celebrate the 208th anniversary of Charles Darwin’s birth. You can join the party, and Explorit Science Center, at Sacramento’s Darwin Day celebration on Sunday, February 12, from 2:30-5:00 p.m. at La Sierra Community Center (5325 Engle Rd. in Carmichael).
Sacramento Darwin Day 2017 is one of scores of events across the country and around the world this week commemorating Darwin’s many contributions to science and our understanding of the natural world. The Sacramento event features “The Reality of Climate Change: A Path Forward,” a presentation by Dr. Thomas H. Suchanek, Ph.D.
Dr. Suchanek’s work in coastal marine ecology with the U.C. Davis Department of Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology and Bodega Marine Lab will inform his perspective on pressing climate issues. Plus, Mad Science will provide entertainment and no party would be complete without Charles Darwin birthday cakes!
Explorit Science Center will be on hand to share in the science fun. Tickets are $15 ($10 for students with ID), available at the door. You can learn more about this and other Darwin Day events at www.darwinday.org.
Explorit’s coming events:
● Summer Science Camp registration is coming soon! Details will be coming to www.explorit.org soon. http://www.explorit.org/programs/programs/summer-camp
● Save your toilet paper tubes for Explorit! We are almost out of one of our most popular Challenge Center building materials. You can help stock us up by saving your toilet paper and paper towel tubes and bringing them to Explorit’s office at 3141 5th St. during our regular business hours, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. http://www.explorit.org/support/support/wish-list
● Explorit’s Exploration Gallery is open to the public every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, 1:00-5:00 p.m. and every Friday, 3:00-6:00 p.m. Admission is $5.00 per person; Explorit members, teachers and children 2 and under are free. Come check out the new Nano Mini Exhibition! http://www.explorit.org/visit
● Interested in helping out the community through board membership? Explorit is currently seeking individuals in the community to serve as members of our volunteer board. Please call or email for additional information on how to apply. http://www.explorit.org/about/board/explorit-board-documents
● Interested in membership? Think your Explorit membership may have lapsed? Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 to check or sign up! http://www.explorit.org/join
● Birthdays are fun with science at Explorit! Choose Super Birthday Party topics to make this a special event! Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 for more information or to book your party. http://www.explorit.org/programs/programs/birthday-parties/birthday-parties
Explorit Science Center is located at 3141 5th St. For more information call (530) 756-0191 or visit http://www.explorit.org, or “like” us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/explorit.fb.