Pi Day Celebration at Explorit
This article appeared in the March 10, 2017 edition of the Davis Enterprise.
By Lisa Justice
Special to the Enterprise
It’s constant. It’s irrational. And it goes on forever. It’s pi, the ratio of any circle’s circumference to its diameter, usually expressed as 3.14. And on Tuesday, March 14 (the day dedicated to this geometric joy) Explorit’s doors will open at 3:14 p.m. for a special afternoon of Public Hours to celebrate Pi Day.
We’ll honor this auspicious arithmetical occasion with math crafts and activities, story time and a scavenger hunt, all for the special admission price of just $3.14 per person. Graph the digits of pi to create a city skyline mural, or color code the digits of pi to make an unforgettable piece of jewelry.
Blow some bubbles and practice measuring their diameters and using pi to calculate their circumferences. But hurry before the bubbles pop and evaporate! Experiment with different circle-measuring techniques, then put your skills to the test with a circle scavenger hunt through our gallery.
Settle in for some story time with a Pi-themed fairy tale and discover the magic of Pi. The whole afternoon of spherical fun runs from 3:14-6:00 p.m. Don’t miss it!
Explorit’s coming events:
● Summer Science Camp registration is open now! Find all the details at www.explorit.org. http://www.explorit.org/welcome-to-explorit/programs/summer-camp/summer-and-vacation-classes
● Save your clean tin cans, toilet paper tubes and tennis ball cans for Explorit! We are almost out of one of our most popular Challenge Center building materials. You can help stock us up by saving your clean household items and bringing them to Explorit’s office at 3141 5th St. during our regular business hours, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. http://www.explorit.org/support/support/wish-list
● Explorit’s Exploration Gallery is open to the public every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, 1:00-5:00 p.m. and every Friday, 3:00-6:00 p.m. Admission is $5.00 per person; Explorit members, teachers and children 2 and under are free. Come check out the new Nano Mini Exhibition! http://www.explorit.org/visit
● Interested in helping out the community through board membership? Explorit is currently seeking individuals in the community to serve as members of our volunteer board. Please call or email for additional information on how to apply. http://www.explorit.org/about/board/explorit-board-documents
● Interested in membership? Think your Explorit membership may have lapsed? Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 to check or sign up! http://www.explorit.org/join
● Birthdays are fun with science at Explorit! Choose Super Birthday Party topics to make this a special event! Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 for more information or to book your party. http://www.explorit.org/programs/programs/birthday-parties/birthday-parties
Explorit Science Center is located at 3141 5th St. For more information call (530) 756-0191 or visit http://www.explorit.org, or “like” us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/explorit.fb.