Say What? Art After Dark Explores Communication
This article appeared in the March 3, 2017 edition of the Davis Enterprise.
By Lisa Justice
Special to the Enterprise
Communication is the name of the game at this month’s Art After Dark event at the Pence Gallery, featuring Explorit Science Center! Explore the science of sound waves while reveling in the art of connection and expression.
Art After Dark is a special program of the Pence Gallery on the first Friday night of the month from 7:00-10:00 p.m. highlighting immersive, interactive art experiences with science, live music, food and drink. Tickets are $10 per person/$8 per student/$5 per Pence member, available at the door or online at www.pencegallery.org.
#Hashtag with artists Jiayi & Sheh-Wen Young is the theme for Friday, March 3. Allow the sounds of looping viral tweets to surround you as this amazing art installation overloads your audio and visual senses. You’ll also have a chance to see behind the scenes of #Hashtag, Jiayi and Shih-Wen Young’s installation on the recent presidential election and the role of social media and communication in politics.
Or, if you dare, take a turn in the Electric Chaircutter as performance artist Nelson Loskamp provides haircuts to brave, blindfolded volunteers. Plus, don’t miss out on drinks and live music!
Explorit will be on hand to provide some stunning science experiences. Visualize sound waves with an oscilloscope, or test out a tin-can phone. Explore how signal flags can help us communicate without words.
Don’t miss this fun science and art fusion event, and mark your calendars now for upcoming Art After Dark nights!
Explorit’s coming events:
● Join Explorit to celebrate Pi Day with special Public Hours featuring math crafts and activities, story time and a scavenger hunt on Tuesday, March 14, 3:14-6:00 p.m. The cost is $3.14 per person. http://www.explorit.org/events/pi-day-at-explorit
● Summer Science Camp registration is open now! Find all the details at www.explorit.org. http://www.explorit.org/welcome-to-explorit/programs/summer-camp/summer-and-vacation-classes
● Save your toilet paper tubes and tennis ball cans for Explorit! We are almost out of one of our most popular Challenge Center building materials. You can help stock us up by saving your toilet paper and paper towel tubes and bringing them to Explorit’s office at 3141 5th St. during our regular business hours, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. http://www.explorit.org/support/support/wish-list
● Explorit’s Exploration Gallery is open to the public every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, 1:00-5:00 p.m. and every Friday, 3:00-6:00 p.m. Admission is $5.00 per person; Explorit members, teachers and children 2 and under are free. Come check out the new Nano Mini Exhibition! http://www.explorit.org/visit
● Interested in helping out the community through board membership? Explorit is currently seeking individuals in the community to serve as members of our volunteer board. Please call or email for additional information on how to apply.http://www.explorit.org/about/board/explorit-board-documents
● Interested in membership? Think your Explorit membership may have lapsed? Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 to check or sign up! http://www.explorit.org/join
● Birthdays are fun with science at Explorit! Choose Super Birthday Party topics to make this a special event! Call Explorit at 530-756-0191 for more information or to book your party. http://www.explorit.org/programs/programs/birthday-parties/birthday-parties
Explorit Science Center is located at 3141 5th St. For more information call (530) 756-0191 or visit http://www.explorit.org, or “like” us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/explorit.fb.